Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Life at Edge Hill

I've been talking about traveling so much that I thought at a post about home would be nice. It's funny how I consider Ormskirk home now. I feel comfortable here and like it is where I belong. It is easier for me to write in lists so here it goes

1. This time of the semester is when essays begin to be due and group projects are starting to pick up. I have 2 essays due within the next week. It really isn't as stressful as it sounds because we have known about them since day 1. Not much guidance was given because the tutors want you to explore the whole topic and be creative with your writing.

2. The Hub- where you go for meals, a convenient store, a big screen TV and to hang out. It is located in the center of campus so it is the perfect meeting place for a coffee or to hang out with some of your mates. Every week day a few vendors come to the hub and sell everything from fresh produce to clothing to school supplies.

3. The common room- each residential building has a common room with couches and a TV. This is where I met a majority of my friends. It is a great central meeting point and where everyone hangs out after class.  Because our hall is half American students and half British students, I have met a variety of people.  Everyone in our hall is friends and we have a great little community feeling.

4. Ormskirk- It is like the perfect small town you see in a movie. It has absolutely everything you need with multiple clothing stores, restaurants and pubs etc.. but is still small and friendly. It is personable and home-y compared to a big city such a London where you could live there for 3 years and still not have seen all of it.  I go to Ormskirk about 2-3 times per week. There are some coffee shops where I go to do homework with a friend or sometimes I just have to run some errands.

5. Tutors here are much less formal than professors at home. You address them by their first name and can send casual emails about questions. They are always willing to help and have many open office hours. They seem to be able to make more jokes while in class- but it may just be the British humor.

I've made great friends to where I know I never have to eat alone, always have someone to talk to, and know I have a place to stay if I want to travel to their hometown. Some of my British friends already have plans on visiting the States and I already have plans to visit some friends I met over here who live in South Carolina. I have a little over 2 months left and that is not nearly enough. Time has flown by and I am not ready to leave (nor will I ever be).

Some friends I've met along the way