Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Tube and The Castle: My weekends in London and Scotland

London

This weekend I felt like I was living on the Tube (their subway system). It is really a curse and a blessing. The tube is crowded and busy, yet simple and extremely convenient. After the first day or so I got acquainted with the social etiquette of the Tube… You stand on the right side of the escalator and walk on the left. If you are only going 1-2 stops, standing is easier. Have your ticket ready when you need to scan it through the machine, don't be "that" person to hold up the line…

I saw all of the touristy destinations, which are 100x better and more beautiful in person than you would think. We went on a free walking tour which is a necessity for every city I visit. I want to know what buildings I'm looking at and the context for how and why they were built.  

Visiting for a weekend was a great getaway yet the hustle of a big city is not for me and only makes me appreciate Ormskirk that much more. There are hundreds of museums, restaurants, pubs and shopping centers which are great to see but a weekend is not enough time to see even half of the city.






Scotland 

I say this every time I go to a new city but…. Edinburgh may be my new favorite city. It is absolutely breathtaking. The history, the mountains, the people- everything was perfect. We did a free walking tour through Sandemans (all of their tours have been GREAT) and also did a tour through the Edinburgh Castle. The castle dates back 3000 years and is sitting on volcanic rock. Parts of it were built specially for cannon balls to be deflected and there is a prison inside with carvings in the wood are still remaining. We learned where the drink "Bloody Mary" came from (the war between the Catholic and the Protestants) and also the game Capture the Flag.

Walking through Edinburgh, expect to see Bagpipers, hundreds of cashmere and wool shops and beautiful cathedrals. The city is a mix of old and new, traditional and new age culture. My travel partner  Katie and I had to try Haggis (lamb) for Edinburgh is known to have the best. To my surprise, I loved it! This is just one example of the many times I have tried new things and been taken out of my comfort zone while abroad. 

On the tour, we saw the birthplace of Harry Potter. I have always enjoyed the series but have need considered myself a huge fan. After seeing the coffee shop where J. K Rowling wrote the series and walking through the cemetery where she sought inspiration for characters names, I grew much fonder of the series and the author. 

The Edinburgh Castle

 My favorite picture from Scotland- the view from the top of the castle overlooking Edinburgh

If you look closely, you can see Thomas Riddell written on the stone. This was just 1 of the many tombstones I saw that got turned into characters.